Is your outdoor furniture and fire pit in need of a little TLC? If so, you've come to the right place. This article by Outdoor Marketplace will teach you how to maintain your outdoor furniture pieces so they last for years to come.
How To Maintain Your Outdoor Patio Area
While patios are a great place to have fun entertaining guests and spending time with loved ones, your patio furniture is fully exposed to the elements. If you want to keep your belongings in prime condition, you’ll have to pull up your sleeves and get your hands a little dirty.
Whether it’s a lounge chair or patio furniture with a fire table on top, the easiest way to maintain your patio furniture is to use furniture coverings. These coverings—which come in various shapes, sizes, and colors—protect your furniture from water, dirt, fading UV rays, and other damaging elements. They not only protect your furniture from damage but also provide extra style to your patio space.
When purchasing furniture coverings, make sure they’re snug enough to keep dirt, water, and debris out but not so snug that they trap moisture inside and create breeding grounds for mildew. Below are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing a cover for your patio furniture:
- Fabric Type: Choose the fabric type that best suits your climate and lifestyle.
- Style: You can choose from various styles—such as traditional, contemporary, or transitional. Choose the style that best suits your individual taste and décor preferences.
- Size: Measure your furniture before ordering a cover to make sure you find ones that fit well.
Furniture coverings protect furniture from dirt and damage, but what about the coverings themselves? How do they stay protected from the elements? Rinsing them with warm water and letting them air dry usually does the trick. If you’re looking for a deeper clean, try applying a mild soap as well.
Check out five of our best selling patio furniture coverings:
Simply the Best Gas Grill Cover
Armor All Adirondack Chair Cover
Universal Square Fire Pit Cover
Armor All Round Patio Set Cover
The best way to maintain a fire pit is to keep it clean. Here are five simple steps for keeping your fire pit clean year-round:
- Remove any ashes from the inside of the pit.
- Scrub the surface with a mixture of mild soap and water.
- Rinse the outside with water, and wipe it dry with paper towels or a cloth.
- Pour water over the surface to remove any residue.
- Spray the surface with fireplace cleaner, let it sit for ten minutes, then wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel.
As a versatile and neutral option, natural wood patio furniture has become more popular in recent years. Since natural wood pieces are more susceptible to discoloration and water damage, it’s crucial to maintain the natural wood look. The best way to maintain natural wood pieces is to apply a protective sealant to lock in color and block out moisture.
You can choose from two types of sealants:
- Clear Sealer: A clear sealer provides one layer of protection that maintains the current color of the furniture.
- Colored Stain: By providing two layers of protection, a colored stain creates a thicker barrier to extend the life of your natural wood furniture.
Follow these three simple steps when applying either a clear sealer or a colored stain:
- Sand the wood with grain.
- Apply the sealer or stain with the grain.
- Let the furniture air dry for a few days.
Metal is a popular patio furniture material because it’s extremely durable and, thus, lasts longer than other materials. It’s also less susceptible to weathering than patio furniture made of wood.
When you’re looking to purchase metal patio furniture, it will be either stainless steel or another metal—such as iron, steel, or copper. While stainless steel is weatherproof, other metals are susceptible to minor weathering if they’re not cared for properly. Here’s how you can clean your metal patio furniture to maintain its look and lengthen its lifespan:
- Rinse dirt off with warm water and mild soap.
- Let the furniture air dry.
Keep in mind that minor weathering creates a natural rustic appearance that you might want to keep. If you don’t like it, though, you can complete this two-step cleaning process to keep the metal looking good as new.
Upgrade Your Outdoor Living Space With Outdoor Marketplace Furniture Covers
If you’re wondering how to maintain your outdoor furniture, it’s time to upgrade your backyard with durable yet stylish furniture coverings from Outdoor Marketplace. Our high-quality pieces will not only protect your patio furniture for years down the road but will also help you achieve premium outdoor living right in your backyard. Shop our collection of furniture covers today.Shop Furniture Covers